Departs From: New Delhi
Meeting Point: Pick-up from your hotel
Duration: Half day
Old Delhi was an ancient walled city. Mughal Emperor Shah Jehan in 1650 switched the Mughal capital from Agra to Delhi. Shah Jehan, who possessed incredible talent, especially in architecture, created the seventh city and in the process brought about Delhi's glorious renaissance. We start the day with a cycle rickshaw ride through Old Delhi. Here you will see Red Fort, the most opulent Fort and Palace of the Mughal Empire. The fort is Shah Jehan's symbol of power and elegance, built behind red sandstone walls. Its main gate (Lahore Gate) faces Chandni Chowk, the perpetually congested avenue. Heading west from the Red Fort, you will encounter twisting lanes, small streets and crowded bazaars. If you peer through a portico you may see a man getting shaved, silver being weighed, or any other conceivable form of intense commerce. We will also visit Raj Ghat, the memorial site of the Mahatma Gandhi; Jama Masjid, the largest mosque in India; and Chandni Chowk, the bustling and colorful market of the old city. Chandni Chowk was the commercial center of Delhi in the old times and you will see it come alive in the morning as the trading day starts.
Then, to show you the contrast of the old with the new, we will return to New Delhi by the Delhi Metro. This is a marvel of modern engineering to have been put in to one of the most crowded parts of India. It is a perfect example of how India is changing while still keeping to its past.
- Hotel pick-up and drop-off
- Deluxe air-conditioned vehicle for the entire trip.
- All sites and visits as per the program
- Services of a professional English-speaking local guides
- Entrance of Red Fort
- Rickshaw & Metro Ride
- All current taxes and entrance fees
- Meals and drinks
- Personal expenses
- Tips and gratuities
- Optional activity costs
- Delhi Red Fort is closed on Monday.
- The prices include all current taxes and entrance fees. Any hikes in these taxes or entrance fees will be extra.
- Tours in other languages are available upon request and at an additional charge.